Monday, November 12, 2012

Work in progress . . .

My home is 120+ years old.  Most of it is original.  It was a rental for many years and even a fraternity house at one point.  It had been very well abused loved before we bought it.

I have 3 kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats.  We have definitely made our mark.  I replaced the carpet on the stairs a few years back myself.  It was a light carpet remnant and it has well past it's prime.  I decided to rip it out yesterday and paint the steps.  I had originally planned on just painting them with the dark brown floor/porch paint that I used upstairs on our unfinished wood floors that I blogged about here. And then I decided we needed to FUNKIFY them!

I have a LARGE stash of mistint paint and various leftovers from projects.  I knew I had some pretty bright colors from the Glidden paint promotions a couple years back so I decided to go for it.  I did paint the treads with the porch paint and then I just painted the risers random colors. 
On the way to school today I asked the kids for some words for the steps.  They came up with some words and I printed them out on legal size paper in various fonts.  A bit of sidewalk chalk on the back of the paper allowed me to easily transfer the type to the steps by simply tracing over them with a pencil.  I simply took a small artist brush and filled in the words.



It is still a work in progress, but it is turning out to be a fun addition to our eclectic home.  The stairs are OLD and ratty, but I am hoping that the colors and words will distract from their less than perfect finish.  I think I may buy a package of carpet squares from Lowes, cut them in half and tack them to the stair treads with large head nails.  We shall see what strikes my fancy! :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

Very creative!